Tuesday, September 26, 2023

On diplomats and insurances

Must read

DIPLOMAT MAGAZINE “For diplomats, by diplomats” Reaching out the world from the European Union First diplomatic publication based in The Netherlands Founded by members of the diplomatic corps on June 19th, 2013. Diplomat Magazine is inspiring diplomats, civil servants and academics to contribute to a free flow of ideas through an extremely rich diplomatic life, full of exclusive events and cultural exchanges, as well as by exposing profound ideas and political debates in our printed and online editions.

By Philipp Boy.

In the world of insurances diplomats are a difficult bunch, for they can be insured in their home countries but likewise lack such necessary protection in the receiving state. In such cases financial institutions and insurers might be hesitant to extend credit or insurances to diplomats because they have no legal means of ensuring the money repaid, or a contract actually honoured. Luckily most governments require their missions and staff to comply with local contracts and laws concerning credits, rents, labour law (for local hires), parking fines, and even some levies.

Embassies and their staff may have need mainly of four types of insurances:

General Liability Insurance (GLI) –As the name entails, it is a general insurance network meant to protect the “insured” from the risks of liabilities imposed by lawsuits and similar claims (though most care unsuccessful against diplomatic missions).

The current case for GLI for diplomats is focused on property and liability insurances as well as a variety of other covers for the embassy buildings, consulates and residences.  Broiler and machinery as well as equipment coverage for heating/cooling systems amongst others are normally automatically included. The coverage is standard and available for embassies, missions, consulates or residences owned by the sending state, or rented premises in the receiving state.

The difference lies in the type of contract entered into by the insurer as insuring a building owned by a foreign state means also signing a contract with a foreign entity.  

Health Insurance –Different types of health insurance plans meet different needs. When you compare options, it’s important to understand how they are structured. For diplomats plans covering the staff of an entire mission are normally more desirable to guarantee a good and high coverage for all employees.

Very important for diplomats to keep in mind the (hopefully unnecessary) need of repatriation in case of serious illness or disability while on duty abroad. Catastrophic Health Insurance Plans cover essential health benefits but have very high deductibles. The latter entails that it provides a kind of “safety net” coverage in case you have an accident or serious illness.

Business vehicles –Business vehicles are those registered in the name of the embassy or consulate at the receiving country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Personal vehicles –Insurances are also available for personal vehicles of diplomats, in which case the vehicle must be registered under the individual name of the diplomat rather than under the name of the mission.

Philipp Boy is a German financial adviser based in Berlin; CEO of “Agentur Boy”. His private financial institution is located at the heart of Berlin’s bustling business centre. He specialises in insurances, capital, business strategy, share and foreign investments and financial advice to private individuals and companies.  Before entering the world of finance he was a top German gymnast.


- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article